Wake Me Up - Song of the Week

Wake Me Up by Avicii. 

I really like the rhythm of the song, but never really paid close attention to the actual song until I watch the music video. The video is about a girl looking for the place to which she belongs. After seeing the video, I listened to the song one more time with the lyrics in front of me.

Throughout life, we are not always sure where we belong or what we are looking for. We get confused and we wander. For the financial independence journey, I will have to say that I have been fairly lucky that I wasn't lost for too long. I went to college and then to graduate school, and finally into Corporate America, like most people. After a year into the job, I realized that I was not exactly cut for the politics and b***s***. Many times, it is not all about whether you are good at your job or whether you work hard. Many other factors can be a part of the promotion decision. I accepted that it was ok for me to stay at a low level, as long as the pay was reasonable for the work hours and for the work done. It confirmed that I need a much earlier retirement. As we started reading all the personal finance blogs, we are more determined that it is possible to hit our early 40's retirement goal.

Life is too short to be worked away. There are things to do and place to be. So the song goes, "Hope I get the chance to travel the world but I don't have any plans". I do have a plan. I want to travel the world to see all the wonders and experience all the interesting cultures. But I agree with "life will pass me by if I don't open up my eyes". It might be a happy thing to say, but we are all eventually going to leave, and we will not get back any seconds we waste.

I guess I am very lucky to have a goal in life, so that I am not wasting more time looking for it. Well, here is the song. Hope you will like it and wake yourself up from all the confusion you have about your life's goals.



"Wake Me Up"


Feeling my way through the darkness
Guided by a beating heart
I can't tell where the journey will end
But I know where to start

They tell me I'm too young to understand
They say I'm caught up in a dream
Well life will pass me by if I don't open up my eyes
Well that's fine by me

[2x]
So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

I tried carrying the weight of the world
But I only have two hands
Hope I get the chance to travel the world
But I don't have any plans

Wish that I could stay forever this young
Not afraid to close my eyes
Life's a game made for everyone
And love is the prize

[2x]
So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

Didn't know I was lost
I didn't know I was lost
I didn't know I was lost
I didn't know (didn't know, didn't know)

Comments

Popular Posts