Delivering Happiness

One of Mr. Y's friends gave us a copy of the book "Delivering Happiness" a few years ago and it has been sitting in our bookshelves, until I recently applied to Zappos.

I had not really read a physical book recently because of advancements in technology. It felt good to pick up the book and read it. To my surprise, it has been a great read and a real eye opener for me. The book not only talked about the great service Zappos provides, but how Tony Hsieh, the CEO of Zappos, shaped his company's culture and what contributed to his great success.

When I started reading the book, I was at a very vulnerable stage of my life. I was laid off and searching for work without too much success. I was at the same time considering what true happiness really meant to me and our family.

I thought about how easily we are all brainwashed by our society and culture to stop thinking and just assume by default that more money equals more success and more happiness, when ultimately happiness is really just about enjoying life. -----Tony Hsieh

That quote was directly taken early on from the book. Having money does not bring true happiness. Happiness is really about doing what you are passionate about and enjoying it. Many people become successful become they had the faith and passion of doing what they do. Money is just a great side effect that happened along to come with it. Chasing after money will not make you rich or bring you happiness. It is more of the experience while making it happen that will bring you the happiness you are searching for in life.


Your life goals will change throughout time. Early retirement has always been on our radar, but has never been as clear as it is now. It is never a good thing to be chained to our desks for the majority of the lives. If you think about it, it is kind of sad. The sooner we quit the crazy rat race, the happier we will be.








Comments

Popular Posts